As week eight closes and we begin to peek into the ninth and final week of Corruption's regular season there is so much to discuss and keep track of. There are individual players working hard to keep their hard earned records intact; teams battling for wild card spots, divisions, and seeds; and of course teams looking to just have fun and cross the finish line of season three together.
Week nine will be crazy and I'm looking forward to seeing what all happens, best of luck to all of the players and teams!
1. Soupreme (+1) - Taking advantage of the Hairy Generals losing, Soupreme finds itself at the top of the power rankings for the second time this season. While not at full strength due to Rayc591 having heart surgery (here's to a speedy recovery), they were able to get the win over Boom Squad and move to first in the Blue division. For their final regular season series they will take on a Noob Central team fighting for their playoff lives.
2. N.W.A. (+1) - Week eight N.W.A. played the Dream Team and won every match, collecting the full twenty points and becoming the new league leader in points as a result.To close out the season the Red division leader will clash with the Green division leader in Team Avatar, and while it is possible for Avatar to pass N.W.A. for lead in the Red/Green division it doesn't seem likely.
3. Team Rank Five (+1) - After a few close losses the Team Rank Five boys were able to get back on track with a win over the Hairy Generals. Only four of the matches were played due to a disqualification, but of the matches played JesusC's sweep was big and it seems he has held his own after moving up to the four seed this season. With a comfortable lead in the Orange division TR5 will look to lock up their first round bye and wrap things up against Aeon next week.
4. The Hairy Generals (-3) - I feel like if you separate the league into tiers that tier one would include four teams, the first four teams listed on these rankings, and that the top four are all really close to one another. So while the Hairy Generals drop a few ranks with a loss, I don't think there's much separating them from any of the teams above them. The Generals have a bigger concern than the rankings though as they are in a position where they may have to enter the playoffs as a wild card. It will all depend upon what else happens in the Blue division and how they play against the Damaged Ones in week nine..
5. Team Avatar (+2) - Team Avatar and Xnergy have spent the last few weeks leapfrogging each other for the top spot in the Green division with Avatar currently leading after a win over Entropy. The Green leader does face a tough challenge in their final week though with N.W.A. next on their schedule.
6. Archon Storm (=) - It's a bit of a surprise to see Archon Storm lose to Pure Strategy but there was a disqualification which could have swung the series if it had been played. With just one week left they are in a comfortable position to make the playoffs but will have to play Danger Zone to end their season, one of the hottest teams in THL right now.
7. Xnergy (-2) - It was a really rough week for Xnergy going against a Danger Zone team which features several former members. Unable to win any of the individual matches they scored just five points and gave up their lead in the Green division, along with allowing Danger Zone to catch up to within a point of them. Their week nine opponent will be Yogg Champs, a current playoff team but one which has struggled record wise.
8. Netherstorm (+2) - Having a great season, especially the second half where they have went 31, is Netherstorm whose most recent win was over that of Aeon. With this recent surge they have moved into a tie with the Hairy Generals for second in the Blue division.Number one on the Player Power Rankings, Gemini and the rest of her teammates will finish their season with a series against Boom Squad.
9. Noob Central (-1) - In one of the closest matchups this week Noob Central came up just a little short in their series with Team Golden Wisp. This puts the Noobs in a very tight race for not only the second seed in Orange but for also likely the second wild card with the Damaged Ones and the Super Heroes. At least one of those teams will make the playoffs, maybe two, and at this point it's really hard to tell which of those teams it will be. With Soupreme being the remaining series for Noob Central their path to the playoffs certainly won't be easy.
10. Danger Zone (+2) - With five straight wins Danger Zone is the hottest team in THL and is picking up momentum at just the right time with playoffs so near. With a clean sweep over Xnergy in week eight they have all but secured a playoff berth and are now just playing for a higher seed and to continue their winning streak. The next team to have a chance at ending that streak will be Archon Storm.
11. The Dream Team (-2) - N.W.A. has collected a number of lopsided wins this season and unfortunately for the Dream Team they added to that collection this past week. Only scoring six points is tough at this point of the season where teams are vying for playoff spots but there is still a chance for RadDream's team, though they will need a good week against Pure Strategy week nine or they will let their dreams be dreams.
12. Team Golden Wisp (-2) - It wasn't going to be easy playing a tough Noob Central team fighting hard for a playoff spot but Team Golden Wisp came through with a two point victory. This week it was Fudd, Hupnar, and Sunshine who picked up the needed wins for their team. Golden Wisp's next opponent will be yet another Orange division team working to stay in the playoff picture, the Super Heroes.
13. The Super Heroes (-2) - In a series with a lot at stake the Super Heroes and the Damaged Ones were tied with four matches played, but MLGAnakin's third disqualification this season shifted things over to the Damaged Ones' favor. In a division and playoff race this tight that hurts but they are currently just four points away from second in Orange and one point off from a wild card.
14. The Damaged Ones (+1) - As just mentioned, the Damaged Ones got the win over the the Super Heroes in week eight and move past them in the Orange division. One particular match of note in that series was new member Gkick earning their first win over Crono who was 61 coming into that meeting. It's only one week but it seems JerryDamage's decision to replace himself is already paying off. With the Hairy Generals next the Damaged Ones will hope that move pays off once again.
15. The Gosu Casuals (-2) - In the closest series of the week the Gosu Casuals were able to squeak past Yogg Champs by a single point. With the win they are still on the outside looking in for the playoffs but getting the final wild card seems more manageable now. All three of the Casuals' wins have came against Red opponents and they just so happen to play Entropy next, a Red division team.
16. Yogg Champs (=) - Last week I said it was a fourth straight loss for Yogg Champs but if the season ended now they would be in the playoffs, and that still holds true but update fourth to say fifth. The Champs playoff spot is looking a little flimsy though and there are a few teams within striking distance of it. If they want to avoid a team taking their spot in the playoffs having a good week against Xnergy in their finale will go a long ways towards that.
17. Pure Strategy (+1) - It's probably not been the season Pure Strategy hoped for but they are not rolling over and that was evident this past week when they took down Archon Storm, albeit aided by a forfeit. As crazy as it sounds Pure Strategy still has a shot at the playoffs but they will need a little help and to close out their season strong against the Dream Team.
18. Entropy (-1) - A six point loss to Team Avatar and Entropy switches with Pure Strategy on the rankings. Jaxox's crew realistically doesn't have a chance at the playoffs but I doubt that will stop them from showing up week nine and giving the Gosu Casuals a good series. Speaking of Jaxox, it seems he returns this week as Entropy's one seed and will play none other than Slimsch. Jaxox did say he didn't see himself as a five seed, I guess that's one way to do it. He won't be the only substitute either as JerryDamage seems to be filling in as Entropy's five seed this coming week; it's going be an interesting week for sure.
19. Aeon (=) - Aeon wasn't quite able to get their second win on the season going against Netherstorm but they seem to be playing better as the season comes to a close. Part of that is new member HectorHowl who is 30 in THL now, with two of those wins coming as a member of Aeon. With Aeon playing Team Rank Five in week nine that means his next opponent will be Imbolc but he and his team seem up for the challenge.
20. Boom Squad (=) - As expected, Boom Squad lost to Soupreme this past week but it was closer than the rankings suggest it should have been, though Rayc591's absence may be partly responsible. It's been a tumultuous season for the Squad but they have a chance to finish strong next week against Netherstorm.
The THL blog is curated and edited by Donde & rebobson. All THL members are welcomed and encouraged to pitch ideas for articles they would like to see on the site. If you have an idea, please reach out to us on Discord at Donde#4239 or rebobson#3620, or via the THL Help email address: firstname.lastname@example.org